Can there be any doubt that Ted Cruz should be our next president? He is the whole political package. Here are just a few of the many reasons Ted has my endorsement:
- Our country and our electorate are becoming more diverse. We have already elected an African-American president. Isn’t it time we elected a Canadian?
- Every now and then Congress forgets itself and does something. More often than not it is something we don’t like. President Cruz would never let that happen. Cruz takes a back seat to no one when it comes to standing in the way of accomplishing anything. He has a proven record of obstructing all efforts at results and progress. He will protect us from a “do something” Congress.
- We need someone who understands how Washington operates. Ted Cruz is the ultimate insider. He has spent nearly three years in the Senate (one-and-a-half years if you subtract the time he has taken off to run for president instead of wasting his talents doing the job for which he was elected). We need a man with that breadth of experience.
- Donald Trump thinks Cruz is a deceitful, flip-flopping, untrustworthy liar. High praise indeed. I will vote for anyone The Donald hates (which still leaves me with plenty of candidates to choose from).
- No one is tougher on terrorism than Ted Cruz. He will bomb the Middle East out of existence. Problem solved.
- The framers of the Constitution intended that government policy be based on the religious beliefs of white, rural Iowans. It’s true: Like Ted, you should walk around all day with a copy of the Constitution in your pocket so that you will know what it really says. By winning the Iowa caucuses, Ted proved that he understands this basic principal of our republican form of government.
- Speaking of the Constitution, when Justice Scalia passed away, Ted was right there with Mitch McConnell to point out that a president’s second term ends after three years, so President Obama had no authority to appoint a successor to the Supreme Court. It’s right there in the Constitution. As Casey Stengel used to say, “you can look it up.” The country needs an originalist like Cruz in the White House.
- Cruz has had the insight to see that the Obama administration is out to violate every single right in the Bill of Rights. Obama has gone after our First Amendment right to religious freedom, our Second Amendment right to bear arms, and he is working his way down the list. In a 2013 speech, Cruz warned that he expects the administration to eventually violate the Third Amendment and quarter soldiers in people’s homes. Ted Cruz is the only candidate who will keep the army out of our living rooms.
I could go on, but by now I am sure you are convinced. I can’t wait to see what things will be like under President Ted. D
Marshall Snider is a former chief judge for Colorado’s Office of Administrative Courts and can be reached at email@example.com.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Docket and the Denver Bar Association.